Ranking websites on Google: In order to get a website ranked in Google, it is necessary to know a little bit (actually a lot) about the powerful search engine. There are a few tested methods that can help web masters rank their websites well. Not being knowledgeable about them can lead to poor results and low rankings, if a web master manages to get their website ranked at all. While it may be impossible to know everything there is to know about ranking websites on Google, without insider information, it is possible to know enough to rank well for certain keywords, provided the competition isn’t too tough. Below some of the tricks of the trades are explained. Hopefully, this information will be helpful for people interested in getting their website atop of Google or any of the other popular search engines.
- Smart linking: It is not enough to obtain links for a website, they must be obtained intelligently. Linking to the main or home page is necessary. However, it is also a good idea to link to internal pages as well. Doing so can help them rank well and pull the home page up in the rankings at the same time.
- On-page optimization: On-page optimization is a major part of search engine optimization. While it may not be as easy to manipulate as in the past, it is still necessary. Adding the keyword the company desires to be ranked for throughout the website’s text is important. It should also be included in the site’s various headings, i.e., H1, H2, and H3. In addition to adding the desired keyword, it is necessary to add in related words as well. This lets the search engines know that the website is indeed about the topic at hand. Instead of stuffing the keywords, however, they should be added naturally within the text of the website.
- External optimization: External or off-page optimization continues to be important. It mostly involves obtaining incoming links. Look for high quality sources or they won’t count.
- Slow and steady wins the race: Slow and steady (although not too slow) seems to be the most effective. It generally takes some time to get quality links and to grow one’s site. Trying to get instant results by spamming in order to obtain links can back fire. Google may penalize a website rather than reward it.
- Quality links: At one time, a person could blast their website to link farm after link farm and get ranked. The search engines, initially, only considered the number of incoming links a website was receiving, not whether they were of high quality. That has since changed. Today, search engines, especially Google, only want to see links coming from high quality sources. This means that web masters have to be more discriminating. Providing new content that will garner conversation from others is a great way to improve website rankings.
Websites are obviously placed on the internet to increase a company’s business. Knowing the secrets of SEO can assist greatly which will help with ranking websites on Google and other search engines.