7 Tips for Email Marketing Success
Email marketing is one of the most cost-efficient ways to deliver targeted messages to your customers and prospects. We are well beyond the days of doing print newsletters off an old 80s computer.
It’s also one of the hardest to get right. Get it wrong, and whoosh, that message goes straight to trash.
Here are 7 tips for email marketing success:
- Write an irresistible subject line: This takes real wordsmithing, because most email programs display only 30 to 50 characters. A sense of urgency helps, however refrain from going overboard. Too much hype is a turn-off.
- Make it personal: If you have a greeting — “Dear [x]” — use the recipient’s real name. A generic “Dear Customer” is too impersonal.
- Break copy up into easy to digest bites of information: Keep it simple. Similar to web copy, readers scan. Short paragraphs and bullet points are best.
- Include a call to action: Be clear about what you want the reader to do. Sign up for a webinar? Buy now to get time-limited discount? Whatever it is, make it obvious.
- Stay consistent: If you’re sending a series of emails, maintain the same look and feel throughout the campaign. Also, be sure the messages tie into the tone of your overall branding.
- Provide contact info: Enable recipients to obtain additional information by including a telephone number and email address.
- Make it easy to unsubscribe: Hey, you can’t win ‘em all. Include an unsubscribe link at the bottom of your message.